THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Basal trouble.

Reminder : I have diabetes and this one is about it. and for more information you may check earlier posts to know about the machine I'm using [ pump ]
So basically what I didn't mention in that other post, is that there are two main things in the machine :
1- bolus
2- basal.

Basal insulin is the "background" insulin needed throughout the day to maintain your target glucose values when you are not eating. Your basal insulin accounts for about half of your daily insulin requirements. Your insulin pump mimics your pancreas by delivering insulin continuously over 24 hours.
While bolus is the insulin I get after calculating blood glucose and the amount of carbohydrates I eat.

Basal is always fixed, don't have to change it.
Tragedy happened last night when I changed the battery of my machine, and I put it on the wrong way.. the machine wasn't working for like 10 minutes? and then I realized that I have put it the wrong way, I fixed it.. It worked but to my surprise all the information disappeared. And what's worse is that I don't remember what was the basal setting.. 
I felt like the world is spinning, I literally live depending on this machine.. I tried to calm down -nothing around me helped me calming down tho- and I did what I remember.. 0.800 units and then after 12 hour 1.00 unit.. 
Told my mom today -thank god everything is normal so far-
Bless my mom, she got me the nurse's number.. But I really feel so embarrassed.. I'll be like 'oh hey, I have this pump since 3\4 years now but I don't know what my basal is..' lol..
darn

0 comments: